Monday, August 12, 2013

User Interface Anonymous

I love pretty things. I mean, who doesn't? From the clothes you chose to wear in the morning, the way you arrange your personal space and let us be honest here…to the person who draws your attention when they walk down the street (ahem ahem, if you know what I mean). We are all drawn to things that look good!

So I am just like everyone else and I love to make my work look nice and inviting. Be it an android project or a website that I am developing. I take a lot of time to design the user interface and create a flawless user experience. And this right here people, is the beginning of my problems!

Why am I saying this? You see I have been working on something for the past couple of days and instead of concentrating on the actual functioning of the project I find myself spending hours on end trying to tweak and re-design widgets and logos. I can’t seem to settle on a color, a background or even a layout. I keep redoing the same thing over and over like a broken record! And quite frankly, I want to stop obsessing so much. I am almost yanking my hair out   :(


This is the look of despair!


I really try to by the way, and shift some focus on the back-end but I keep going back to the design. In my head, if doesn't look good it’s not good enough. And my sister was trying to give me a reality check the other day; it went a little bit like this…

“Let’s say you were doing your project in a timed setting and you had a supervisor there with you with an alarm clock. When the alarm goes off you will be required to stop doing what you are doing and hand in the project as it is. Do you think you will get points in your project if it looks pretty and doesn't work or if it works but doesn't look pretty?”

I understood what she was saying and where she was going with her question. And it’s what I try to reminisce every time I get a little bit carried away but it is like I am an addict to the user interface design so I just keep relapsing. Concentrating too much on UI/UX would be the end of me!

So I am looking for a rehabilitation center, user interface anonymous (UIA). Do you know of any? And very soon I’ll be saying something like this “Hi, I’m Jackie and I’m an addict. It has been five minutes since I tweaked my last widget” Hehe! And the most amazing part would be getting a response back “Hi Jackie” from the other user interface addicts. Are there any out there??

Feel free to leave a comment below and share with me your woes. And if there is someone who can help me out there, I’d love to hear from you.

Have a lovely Monday people :)
#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment