Thursday, August 22, 2013

LOL mum, ILY too

Just the other day, my cousin who is home for the holidays, texted me to inquire about whether she could come for a visit before schools reopened. And after reading her text, I couldn’t help but burst into laughter. I passed the phone over to the rest of my family as they were more than curious to know why I was laughing so loudly. And before long the whole house was in stitches.


Ok, right now i think you are thinking we are a mean bunch. But point of correction, we weren’t laughing at my cousin, we were laughing at ourselves! This is because we were just realizing that we were either getting too old or it’s the times that were changing and moving too fast for us to catch up with it. The text that she sent me was basically utilizing less than 20 characters but the amount of information that it carried was 200 characters worth!! Every word she wrote in that text was abbreviated into an acronym of some sort.

Of all the people in the house, I think I was the one who deciphered the text fastest. The fact that I am the youngest might have something to do with this, also because I am the one who is fondest of texting. The others, especially my mum would rather call you than spend time trying to compose an SMS. In fact, the times she would text someone, be sure I was the one who composed that message! And the few times she has texted me it’s because she was not in a position to call so she just used one of those templates in the phone that say something like this: “I am in a meeting right now. I will call you later

Hehe, that text my cousin sent sparked a huge debate in the house. My folks wanted to know what all those acronyms meant. So the teaching session began. Boy oh boy, wasn’t that one hilarious class! Just imagine teaching your parents: OMG, LOL, IKR, DWL, TTYL, BRB, IDK, WYSIWYG, F2F, ILY, ROTFL, TGIF, G2G etc.

LMAO, it was funny AF!! But I must say they caught on pretty fast because soon afterwards they did use them in sentences and the sentences actually made sense!

Dad: IDK what she's saying
Mum: TTYL, I’m watching the news. But ILY  :)

I am so proud of them for being very fast learners, now they wouldn't be so clueless when my cousin decides to text them. Plus I can also save some characters when messaging them as well. Win-Win :)
And i wouldn't be expecting a text like that in the screenshot below any time soon because at least now they know what those mean, hehe.

images courtesy of Google :)


But sometimes i think i might have created monsters, cause whenever i try telling them how salt or something else is bad for their health, they insist on having it and then they add YOLO at the end of the sentence! Tsk tsk, what i'm i going to do with these ones?? /0\

And LOL mum, even if you shushed me because you were watching the news, ILY too!

How well do you know your acronyms? If you needed to look up any of the ones i used in today's post, then maybe you also need a tutorial from me. Hehe, so get in touch :)

G2G now but thanks for reading. Have a wonderful afternoon.
#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment