Monday, January 25, 2016

Hey There! I Am Using WhatsApp.

"Hey there! I am using WhatsApp" That is the default WhatsApp status. Other people, myself included, change this status update from time to time depending on the time, season, mood or the current situation. Other people, on the other hand opt to stick to the default update for reasons only best known to them. Those ones are not so common in my contact list so anytime I see it, I can almost always be sure that it is a new WhatsApp user.

A few months ago, my father purchased a smart phone. During the days that followed, we found his struggle with the new device a little bit too hilarious. And as a Computer Science graduate, I was constantly on call to help him with the swiping, sending messages, apps download and the data bundles that were devouring his airtime within minutes. You know...exactly what I studied in campus. But within a few weeks, he had caught on. In fact, he had caught on so fast that he even signed up for a number of social media sites. WhatsApp being one of them!

I consider parents who try to keep up with technology as digital immigrants. This is because they struggle so much to gain proficiency and are not really as comfortable with the technology that their digital native children have already mastered. But I don't blame them for trying though. Technology is fun and it has come to the point where if parents are to have any relationship with their children they would have to go through it. Bridging the digital divide. Case in point, my dad.

For most kids, having a parent connect, follow, add or friend is just preposterous. Giving them access to your friends, pictures, likes, status updates, circles, or hashtags is just crazy! And very few would agree to it. I even know of people who have blocked said parents because of the fear of having their territory encroached upon.

I am not used to having a POW (Parent on WhatsApp). Actually, I am not used to having a parent on any of my social media sites. But now I am getting used to having my dad ask about my profile picture and status updates. Hopefully with time, it will become less awkward to see him 'online'

Thank you for reading, as always.

Have a nice evening!

#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment