Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Int’l Women’s Day: Technovation Challenge

I have even lost count of the Technovation Challenge day we are on!! But if my memory serves me right, it should be the third one. Coincidentally, that Saturday also happened to be International Women’s Day. So, that I got to spend it with the lovely ladies of Mary Hill Girls’ High School.


Btw, there were so many other activities slotted for that day and as much as I would have loved to take part in all of them, there is only one of me. Darnit! There was the GDG Women’s meet up at +iHub which I was invited to. There was also an +Akili Dada walk in Karura Forest. Apart from that, there was the Intel Galileo fest on campus and I was super psyched for it (Hehe, the promise of free food might have had something to do with that!)



However, after a very tough battle in my head, I decided to go ahead with my girls. They were so excited the last time we met and I did not want to disappoint them especially because I couldn’t communicate with them telling them of my absence.


So, what was on the agenda for this week? We gathered with our group members and worked on some user interface designs. (My best part of application development, see here). It is always preferred to come up with the flow and screen designs of the apps on paper. 


This enables you to see and visualize how it is going to look like. Creativity is of the essence here as the interface design may make or break the project. (At least that is what I believe)


We got the got the girls some paper and sticky notes (I have this compulsive obsession with different colored sticky notes!! Is there a condition like that in the psychiatry world??) They just make otherwise boring work look very thrilling. 


Other girls however chose to use the various tools available on the desktops like publisher, paint and word art among others! Talk about going digital! But I always prefer the good old school paper and pen :)


Every time I hang out with these girls I am reminded of how innovative the young generation ‘Z’ is. Not all hope is lost hehe. They came up with some pretty neat designs, designs that I can’t wait to implement. The journey ahead is still long but we are going to get there, one widget at a time!


When all was said and done, I was glad I chose to go to Thika. Even if at the end of the day I got a lot of enthusiastic feedback from my colleagues who had attended the events I had forgone. But there is always a time for everything and hopefully I will be able to show up in the subsequent meetings. It was a good day and I am looking forward to the next weekend. Doing cool things that matter!!


Happy belated International Women’s Day to all the lovely ladies outchea who hold this world down!

Have a lovely hump day!

#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment