Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day Two #TechnovationHackDay

Hey there guys! How you doin’? Hope all is well. I on the other hand, I’m swarmed with so much to do and so little time hence the stall in my posts. But I really wanted to check in at least for the first post of the month and fill you in on what went down this past weekend. The post is just going to be somewhat on the short end nonetheless I will try to keep it sweet :)


I have been keeping you in the loop about this new +Akili Dada mentoring project that I took on. But if should this be the first time you are dropping by (first of all welcome) and find the previous posts here and here.

This Saturday however, we did things differently. Instead of going to the respective girl’s high schools which is the norm, we all convened at Safaricom House in Westlands. By ‘we all’ I mean…all Akili Dada mentors (which is where I fall), the mentees (from all the participating schools: Mary Hill Girls High School, Precious Blood, Loreto Limuru, Alliance Girls and Moonlight) and our respective Safaricom mentors as well.




The aim of the meet up was to sort of introduce all the teams and register them officially for the Technovation Challenge. Apart from that, it served as a good platform to familiarize the teams on what was expected of them and the apps that they will be developing. This forum also shed some light on how the whole challenge would be conducted all the way up to when the winners will be selected (Judging criteria)


The event was very colorful I must say. We all got to network and make new friends while at it (Those are always welcome!). We shared and exchanged intellectual ideas which did more than just ignite the coding fire in the young minds gathered in the hall.



On the flip side though, being in Safaricom House doth not guarantee thee good internet!! That is one of the major problems that we battled with for the better part of the morning. LOL, the IRONY!! However when the fixed it, I couldn’t have been happier! But wait…not so fast…it was almost lunch time and you know how I love my food. In spite of that, it seemed they hadn’t anticipated the large crowds so guess what?? Some of us missed out. 


We had to hang on for the next round. 25 hours later, we were finally served and due my severe hunger pangs, I forgot to take the initial picture of the meal. Darnit! Sorry, Instagram!! But I will leave you with this image of the empty plate hehe!


Despite the few setbacks (esp...the food delay), the day was a success. We got the teams registered online and enlightened on the challenge. From that point, us as mentors can safely start the actual programming in the respective schools from this coming weekend.




I promised I was going to keep it short, so I think this is my cue. Thank you so much for reading. It’s always a pleasure. Have a lovely hump day :)

I had to leave my mark :)

Always do cool things that matter!

#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment