Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Notebook

A carpenter is only as good as his tools, or so the saying goes. However, this phrase doesn't apply to the woodworking trade only. The same has also been used for mechanics as “a poor mechanic blames his tools” and this time round, I would like to use it for designers as well. And what this phrase simply means is that if one really cares about their work, then they ought to invest in their tools.



Before going into app development, it is important for designers to get all the necessary tools together to avoid wasting time and money on improper technology. One of the cheapest and most effective tools that one can invest in before thinking of all the available software out there is a quality notebook!

Being a successful designer requires taking a lot of consistent notes. These notes range from the upcoming trends in app development, mistakes made in other apps, critiques and the crazy, new ideas that cross the mind at ridiculous times. All these will go a long way in improving the quality of personal projects.

Some of a designer’s best ideas will come when he or she isn't working; they’ll arrive while walking down the street, when eating, watching a movie, in the middle of the night or in my case, even in the shower! Always having a notebook handy is a great way to quickly pen down thoughts as soon as the genius strikes. I don’t know how that will work in the shower, but holding onto the design thoughts until I get to dryer grounds always works for me!

Skipping this process and diving head first into serious application coding may make one spend a lot of time on something that is insignificant and hence missing out on important features altogether. I have been carrying around a particular notebook and sticky notes for as long as I can remember. In it I jot down some of the bizarre ideas that come to me. I also sketch the UI ideas that I get and the work flow of the project as it moves from different screens and activities or pages.

When I started out, I didn't actually know that what I was doing was significant in the UX Process. But I did learn from my internship at the +iHub UX Lab at +iHub that that is the prototyping phase. One can create a high fidelity prototype (Actual coding of the system) or a low fidelity prototype (Paper prototyping; which is what I was doing).

Paper prototyping is used a lot in Human Computer Interaction (HCI) as a method in user centered design process, a process which helps developers to create software that meets the user’s expectations and needs. It involves creating rough, hand sketched drawings of an interface to use as prototypes, or models of a design. I should have a blog post on this! Watch this space...

However, apart from the notebook, more advanced tools may be used depending on one’s level of expertise and sometimes the depth of the pockets. They are especially useful when one needs to render something in pixels and get the actual look and feel of the proposed application. They include Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and CorelDraw among others. It is however important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to choosing tools for design. Just go with whatever it is that floats your boat.

I find comfort in my little notebook and the good ol' Microsoft Publisher. So far, they work well for me. I may be an old dog but I am never afraid of learning new tricks. I am planning on trying out more of the new tools in the market as soon as I get the time. Who knows, they may significantly pay off!

As always, it's a pleasure to have you reading! Thank you.
Have a lovely afternoon.

#HappyDays

References: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment