Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Be You Dot Com

Hey guys,

I thought I should end this month on an inspirational note. Well…kind of an inspirational note, hehe. This post was actually triggered by a conversation I remember having with an acquaintance of mine some time back.


He mentioned how he had noticed that I apparently do not have enough code stuff on my blog. Actually, “You don’t have any code stuff on your blog yet you are a programmer…” – Were his exact words. So I wasn’t taking him out of context when I iterated that story to a couple of friends of mine later that day. And he went ahead to suggest that I should try and post more content along the programmer/techie lines. Especially code.

On the other hand, when my best friend reads my posts she always complains that I don’t have any fun stuff on it either! Consequently, both of these groups never visit my blog because as you guessed it, I am not techie enough for my programmer buddy while still being too dorky for my cool friend. So what’s a girl supposed to do? Ok, apart from eating cake?

Whenever I hang out with some dope hackers and programmers, I usually feel so out of place. These guys talk about some complex algorithms that get me thinking that they could successfully and effortlessly infiltrate the US Military and launch missiles if given the chance.  I’m typically quiet most of the time. But if I have to, I would throw random Computer Science words…HTML, IP Address, Diode! Do you get where I am going with this?

The converse happens when I am with not so techie people or people who have specialized in other areas of study, mostly in the arts. Take an example this past week. I was busy demonstrating my prototype to my work supervisor who was in the company of a friend with no Computer Science background. And her friend was super stoked to say the least. She was very impressed that I could do that myself. Her enthusiasm got me feeling like I was Einstein!

I was not offended at all by the comments and suggestions that both of these parties dished out because I knew where they were coming from. My passion is somehow half and half. As much as I code and develop websites and android applications, my abilities are skewed towards creating awesome user experiences and interfaces. I knew this from a while back, just didn’t know what to call this ‘gift’. My coding skills may therefore be a bit lacking and that is why I have never really feel confident in posting any of it on here let alone roll out a project in the App Store, which was actually one of my resolutions this year. #Sigh! I always know that there is a better site out there that will present all that ‘code stuff’ in a more professional and informative kind of way. Plus there is really nothing new that I would have discovered because something like stack overflow will already have that covered. You feel me? However, as much as that is true, one thing for sure is…the UI in my apps look awesome even as they force close!

Long story short, in this world, there is always going to be someone better than you in something but at the same time you are also better at something else when compared to someone else.

Therefore just be yourself instead of trying to outmatch each other in one thing or to fit in a certain template that is pre-designed to please other people. An original is worth more than a copy and the only thing that someone else can’t be 100% perfect in, is being you! Oscar Wilde said, be yourself because everyone else is taken and my version, albeit cheesy, is be yourself dot com because all other domain names are taken :-)


Hehe, I hope this little ‘motivational talk’ worked on someone today. But if you were already on board, a little reminder to stay there never hurt. Right?

Thank you so much for reading. Have a good end month! 
See you in August.

#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment