Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Technovation Challenge Local Awards

Yesterday, all roads led to the Michael Joseph Centre for the Technovation Challenge Local Awards. If you have been keeping up with my posts, (LOL, almost said ‘the Kardashians’), then you will know what exactly I am talking about. If not, see here and here and probably here too.


After an intense 12 week program, it was finally nice to see the competition culminate in a beautiful ceremony which saw teachers, journalists, business guys, varsity students, +Akili Dada mentors and high school pupils in attendance.



I expressed my frustrations about my journey in coming up with a working prototype for the app in my previous post {See here}. So it was really nice to have the app make it to the top six in the competition. Only the first three were awarded but if you ask me, I know we tied in first place with the winners but they just ran out of gifts so we had to settle for fourth! And I am sticking to that story!!




Nevertheless, the fact that we started the journey and finished it is already a win in my books. I won’t lie that I felt we should have placed higher or gotten a prize of some sort considering we were in the high school category with very few skills and resources to spare yet the entire top three was made up of participants from the university category but my good friends and the lovely +Wadzanai Madziva from Google, who I had a chance to network with, reminded me that it’s not all about finishing first but it’s about finishing best. And I think we did just that!!


There is talk of refining the prototype and possibly having it in the app stores and this will be done in good time.


The moderator for the event was the delightful media personality and founder of Inua Dada, Miss Janet Mbugua. Apart from her good moderating skills, what really stands out about her is her passion for helping the less fortunate girls in our society. And that is what her foundation is all about. So if you are interested in partnering with or helping out, I suggest you check that out and contact her. Today she will be at the Nairobi school engaging with the girls as we mark world Menstrual Hygiene Day.


Also in attendance was my beautiful (and tall) bestie +wanjiru wainaina. You know you got a good one when they are willing to abandon their schedules and travel all the way to sit through a four hour event of something they don’t know anything about! Haha, yes! My friend is one of those technologically challenged people (Don't look at me like that. Those are her words!) The only things she’s good at is the ‘switching it on and off’ part and installing stuff (read: games) but she was still willing to come through and support a sister! And after that I think she might be finally interested in programming…perhaps…not really sure…okay will confirm later! Nonetheless, a big shout out to you lovie!



It was a good day. I cannot wait to see what the next Technovation Challenge will have in store for us. But one thing's for sure, I am super optimistic! To nominate a Woman In Technology {WIT}, visit this site.

Two days to go for the GSA application. See here and apply today!
Always Doing Cool Things That Matter


#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment