Friday, January 10, 2014

Skirt Convert {D.I.Y}

Bonjour mes amies. Hehe, allow me to milk the little French I know for today at least. But just for the record, it ain’t as little as you might think. Oui! Je parlé Français, mais that is a story for another day. I am really excited about today’s post. The title might have already given it away, but if it hasn’t just stick around to find out why I am so enthusiastic about it!!


In my last post {see here}, I mentioned something to do sewing my own clothes. I told ya’ll that I was going to share what I was working on…right. Well, I am a man (read, woman or lady or person) of my word so here it is.

Brief history time: I have always been a fashion enthusiast of some sort. I remember one time when I was eleven I made my own bag and believe it or not, my English teacher asked me where I had bought it!! I loved tearing old bed sheets and just sewing stuff. Ok, most of them never turned out how I hoped LOL. I attributed that to my lack of skills in making patterns and handling scissors and the sewing machine. But there are times when some things actually looked decent.


Life has a way with curve balls. I was good in Science and Math so it was never an option for me to be all arty if you get what mean. From all career advisors, life coaches, teachers and relatives it was always drilled into me that I should be a doctor, scientist or an actuary etc… Hence, I found myself doing Computer Science. To be honest, I hated every bit of it during my entire first semester (I wrote a bit about it somewhere in this blog...memory lapse. LOL). I thought of switching courses especially ‘cause my campus offers one of the best fashion degrees and it is so in tune with culture. But I just decided to hang on and right now I love the whole programming thing.



However, I am thinking, I can have my cake and eat it too. Nobody said you can only have one talent and that’s it…right?? When I am on my computer programming, I feel so good and alive. And I get the same feeling when I see gorgeous material and a design pops in my head and I just sit at the sewing machine. I’m like a kid in the candy store. You all know how much I love cake and candy {see here}!!


So during the holidays, I decided to tap into that fashion, design, and seamstress side of me that was feeling a bit neglected. My sisters and I were at my mum’s closet doing some shopping. Hehe, yeah…we do that. Fashion is like repeating itself and we see no need to throw some of those clothes that my mum used to wear way back when. We actually find nice stuff there, treasure hunting of some sort. Remember this post here? Yes, I was wearing something my mum wore in I don’t know when. It looked so good on me. I always get so many compliments. And like a good shopper, you will always go back to the store that stocks nice and affordable pieces :)



Whilst ‘shopping’ we came across a dress of hers that she hadn’t worn in a while and the idea of my circle skirt was born. She told me I could do anything with it. I just grabbed my pair of scissors and the work began! I also got other pieces that I will tweak overtime. Sorry I forgot to take the pic of the dress before I started butchering it…I was too excited and scissor happy I guess.



So I ripped the seams out and made my pattern on a flour paper (I perfected the pattern skills by watching a clip in YouTube) and then cut it out. I used the pattern to cut the fabric and there you have it. The sewing began. I did 80% of the sewing by hand.  And after a couple of days, I was done!! (Ok, in the pictures I am yet to do the final hemming around the skirt. I just couldn’t wait to try it on)





Plus you may notice that the skirt is a bit short but in my defense…I did run out of material. Hehe, that ain’t a cliché anymore. It does happen!! It was expected though, ‘cause I was making a circle skirt. They tend to use more fabric than an A-line skirt or a pencil skirt. And I was using material already used in making a dress. So just bear with me. Hehe, I would love to wear this skirt while I am up and about town and flaunt my beautiful legs and stuff. Especially because it is the work of my hands but I am not sure that the streets of Nairobi are ready to see me in a short skirt yet. Maybe I make a slightly longer one. But I may just try it one day while in school.


I loved the results and so did my family members and friends. I am now like the new Versace owner in town…Ok, maybe the next Alexander McQueen. LMAO. Either way, I am super excited and I cannot wait to do another piece. I am doing well on this resolutions…me thinks :) *Fingers Crossed*


Feel free to tell me what you think about my design skills and the skirt that came out of it.
I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments.
Is it a hit or a miss?

Thank you for reading. Do have yourselves a lovely Friday evening and weekend.
Ciao!!


#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment