Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Liquid Crystal Display Damaged!

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered something wrong with my baby. By baby, I mean my Samsam…my laptop. Don’t look at me like that!! Yeah, I named her…who doesn’t?  Ok, back to the something wrong. On the bottom right corner of the screen, there was a one inch (give or take) black line that was extending upwards.


This came as a shock to me. I have never treated her badly. In fact I over pampered her! She is almost one year old but I still protect her with the same cover that she came in when I purchased her. I always wipe every speck of dust on her (I can’t stand her looking like she doesn’t have a caring family. LOL)

So with that in mind, I knew it couldn’t have been my neglect that caused the “blemish” on it but maybe, someone else’s. I retraced all the events of the day and as it turned out; my sister had employed her services. She had watched a series earlier that morning. I asked her if she had dropped the laptop or treated it roughly in any way but as it turned out, she was nice to her. However, I couldn’t shake the feeling that she might have fallen asleep and rolled over it, hehe. Cause, she almost always does that to her phone. 

But a few days later, I discovered that the black line was getting thicker and within a week it had already extended northwards about six inches. Now I was concerned because that confirmed my sister’s innocence. However, the question still remained…what is happening to my baby’s screen.


Hence, I took to the internet…Google to be precise. That is something I always do when I am a bit unsure. There is almost always an answer and if not…a guide in the right direction. Plus it always helps to know there are other people outchea asking the same question. Hehe and that little voice in your head goes off saying, “Stay strong. You are not alone”


I thought I should share some of the things I found out: {Source here and pictures are Googled}

For starters, the LCD display screens on notebook computers are made of two thin layers of glass with dark liquid crystal material between. The glass is covered on the outside by a layer of plastic. And this deceives people that there cannot be a broken LCD display because it cannot be felt as if it can break. Cracks in the glass cannot be felt because the plastic covering rarely breaks or fractures.


However when the LCD display glass is broken any of the following might happen:
  • Lines or patterns may appear on the screen. There may be many lines or only a few lines.
  • Black “spots” may also appear. This can be liquid material spilling out of a crack. A crack may be present which causes the lines to appear but no liquid crystal spots are apparent. The spots may be small or may appear later or grow larger in time.
  • The screen may be totally black; however, some sort of pattern can usually be seen if you look closely.

It is important to note that the lines on the LCD may be caused by video driver issues or a problem with the media being used. Video driver issues can normally be resolved by downloading and installing a new video driver.


Attempting a do-it-yourself repair is not recommended as an improper action can cause irreparable damage to the computer. It is recommended that all repairs are to be done by an experienced and authorized service provider.


So with this in mind, I went back to the store where I purchased my baby. I still have a valid warranty and they told me they could be able to fix it when this year began. But get this; it would take them about two to three weeks for them to have it done!! OH MY!! How am I supposed to survive without a laptop for all that while?? I am now stuck there, with that major dilemma. I know I should take her to get fixed but it’s such a long time. We have never been apart that long! And since then, the line has reduced to about an inch long and it has also faded somewhat. I am therefore still on the contemplating mode! But after seeing those images  of damaged LCDs I think my decision will come earlier than I thought!

In a couple more days I will figure out to do. But until then, I am going to be hanging out with Samsam doing cool things that matter!

Thank you for taking your time to read through! I appreciate :)
Have a lovely humpday!


#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment