Tuesday, November 12, 2013

#OracleDay {Kenyan Edition 2013}

Top of the afternoon to all of you! Ok, I do not know if there is a greeting like that but I am just assuming because there exists a ‘top of the morning’ greeting…oh, well you get the drift hehe. So, how have you been? Good I hope. In my last post, I had mentioned something about telling you what went down on Friday, so here I am fulfilling my promises :)


For the longest time, IT or tech events have always been an opportunity for me and my pals to go and learn something more, network, explore opportunities and of course…eat! This has been the case for a little over a year now. From the hackathons held at hotels like the Boma Hotel, Red Court Hotel, PAWA254 and the iHub to the talks in Intercontinental Hotel, Sankara Hotel, Southern Sun Mayfair Hotel and also the famous Hilton Hotel. I have attended them all!


Therefore this year’s Oracle Day talk being held at the Safari Park Hotel was not an exception. In fact it was the second time I was there for a similar event.

Le Venue

This time round however, I intended to really maximize on the event. On the previous one I think I was a bit too excited to be at the hotel’s gorgeous facilities that I barely concentrated much. Plus, let’s just say I am a year older now and a bit wiser.

Last Year at Safari Park for the same event

It is because of this that I decided to adorn myself in official clothes and carry along with me my business cards. In the intercontinental hotel talk, the attendees who were not clad in working attires nor possess their cards were quietly but embarrassingly turned away. And for that reason, I wanted to avoid this situation as much as possible.

I tried yo!

I am not one to wear skirts and heels. I pride myself in the fact that I am sort of a tom-boy and I look good while at it. Plus my field of work does not require me to be in skirts and six inch pointy shoes. IT shirts and jeans are usually my go to. But on this particular day, I made an exception. So I got out my black A-line skirt out of the darkest corner of my closet and ironed it for good measure. (We all have that one skirt which we bought in order to wear in all interviews). I dressed it with my white vest and purple sweater (I love purple).

#teamFlatShoes

As for shoes, I wore my flat black sandals but I had some official wedges in my handbag, just in case. And yes, I did say handbag! I carried a giraffe print handbag which belongs to my sister. She thought it would spice up my look :)

Swag, swag...

I got to the Safari Park Hotel conference room at about 10:00 am. The event had already begun and the room was packed to capacity. I had to be led to an empty seat by an usher.

Name tags

The event was out to define cloud computing, mobile, social, big data and internet which are some of the latest buzzwords in the IT industry. These technologies are shaping the world and creating new opportunities. From the day, attendees would get to hear stories of innovation in practice, come out with a deeper understanding of how the world is changing, how organizations can position themselves to drive innovation and how to take advantage of the opportunities created.

Presentations

The event was attended by various dignitaries among them the Cabinet secretary in the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Dr. Fred Matiangi and Dr. Andrew Sutherland, SVP Technology, Oracle Europe. Also in attendance was Mr. Alexander Meixner, Mr. John Temba, Dennis Volemi of CBA, Mr. Roy Masamba, HR Director, Safaricom  and Mr. Nazir Noordin, MD, Copycat among other key note speakers.

More presentations

There was a lot to take from the talks that went on throughout the day. Some of the ones that really stood out to me included:
  • We can use IT to make our day to day lives a lot easier. There is no reason why at this day and age you still find companies that are drowning in spreadsheets and paper files while there are technologies to simplify this.
  • We cannot fight tomorrow’s problem using yesterday’s technology. There is therefore a need to innovate newer and more technologies in order to keep up with the daily changes. These famous words were uttered by Dr. Andrew Sutherland.
  • A society that ignores its young people is a society that ignores innovation. I liked this quote. Mainly because I form part of the young people and I know how we think. There is so much talent and creativity within us. And I do believe that one of us surely owns the ‘next biggest thing’ idea as we speak! If that you is you, don’t give up!!
  • Kenyans have shown a lot of interest in the cloud computing technology compared to other African countries but it’s the people who have a notion that IT is difficult and complex therefore they steer clear from it. So people need to be more enlightened, open minded and receptive to it. And Oracle helps in this.
  • Plus congrats to the graduates of the OCM


In the afternoon, the conference room was split into different segments each of which focused on a specific track like Applications, Cloud Computing, Modern Data Centre and Big Data and Analytics. These definitions are from their website here

More presentations :)

Big Data & Analytics: Big Data at Work: Transform your Business with Analytics
Big data is the datafication of every activity in business, government and even private life. As the world makes a digital copy of itself, its ability to produce data has outstripped most organizations’ ability to use it and drive value from it. This mismatch forces a top-to-bottom re-evaluation of what data is, how organizations get value from it and the investments to be made. This track will dive into how organizations need to rethink Big Data and the approach – from infrastructure to analytics - that creates a new kind of sustainable advantage over the competition.


Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way
Cloud computing is transforming business and IT by enabling greater agility with lower cost and risk. As cloud computing moves to the mainstream, it is time for your organization to develop your cloud strategy and roadmap that supports current and future business needs. Learn how Oracle helps customers succeed in their journey to their cloud through a broad portfolio of cloud solutions across SaaS, PaaS and IaaS services deployed in public, private and managed cloud models.


Mobile: Extend Your Business - Mobilize Your Enterprise
Enterprise Mobility is essential to how organizations are transforming themselves and their industry. This technological innovation enables them to extend their business, change how they work, collaborate, and engage with customers, partners and employees. Leveraging Oracle's next generation business innovation platform - Oracle Fusion Middleware - organizations are developing enterprise mobile strategies that provide immediate value while ensuring future success and business growth. In this track we will discuss key components of the Oracle Mobile Platform and Oracle Fusion Middleware. You will gain valuable insights into how you can mobilize your enterprise with Oracle.

Systems: The Modern Data Center
Optimized data centers can lead to accelerated business growth and reduced IT costs - join senior Oracle executives and partners to find out how Oracle enables the optimized data center and can deliver strategic business value.

Ummm, more presentations I guess

I chose the Applications track alongside my friend +concillier kitungulu who I had attended the event with. There was a tea break at about 12:00 noon and not forgetting the delicious buffet lunch at the restaurant just a couple of hours later. Talk of meat, more meat with a side of some more meat. Tasty desserts and fruits were also on the menu though some people finished the cakes for me! *ahem ahem* I will not mention names!

People were tweeting too much! So many phones died

The track sessions went on until about 6:00pm when the event came to a close. It is at this point where we were rewarded with an awesome branded laptop bag pack. I cannot appreciate this bag enough as it came at the exact moment when my beautiful WHITE Gmail bag needed some washing but I just couldn’t trust the unpredictable weather enough to douse the it in water.

The Oracle bag and the white Gmail bag (Which I can now wash )

A wonderful surprise was announced in the end of it all. And that was the fact that there were cocktails and an open bar for all the attendees. I personally do not take alcohol so for me it wasn’t a big deal. But I do take the occasional glass of red wine…I do it for a healthy heart people. Don’t believe me, baaam read here

Red Wine is good for ya!

Hehe, this particular bottle was a bit strong I must say because by the first half glass I was already feeling the effects. I was extremely happy and I talked a lot. So if you thought I couldn’t talk any faster or any louder you were wrong! LOL! By 8:00 pm I had already had my fun. So I decided to call it a day even if there was still a special dinner being hosted at the hotel. I left other people still enjoying the drinks and the soft music that filled the serene ambiance. I got home and dashed quickly to my room before my folks had a chance to take out the good old breathalyzer! I had to get to bed so as to be fresh and ready for the next day’s mapping event. Which I was!


It was a good event and I am glad I attended it. I am already looking forward to the 2014 Edition! I met some good old friends, networked with corporates and I learnt a lot as well. You should also make a point of attending the next one. It will give you a platform to share your experiences with others, network and ask IT strategic questions directly to the Oracle experts.


Thanks for dropping by. Have a lovely afternoon.

#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment