Monday, November 25, 2013

Get Your Students Certified

Hello folks. How are you doin’?  I hope ya’ll are well and keeping warm during this sweater weather that we have going on in the country. It was a very eventful weekend for me so I thought I should share some of that goodness with you and hope that it would bring some sort of warmth hehe.

For those who have been keeping up with the GSAs, we should start that reality show hehe, you know that we have this project of training the students in our respective campuses in online basics and have them certified.  And this project is dubbed ‘Get Your Students Certified’.  In line with this, we held our Kenyatta University training this past Friday and Saturday.

Posters

The objective of this event was to promote web literacy, online basics and internet safety on campus to the students that would like to be certified. Publicity around the school was done by posters which were stuck in strategic locations.


The training session

We got our regular venue at the Computer Lab in the C.I.T department. The turnout was great, I must admit and the attendees were awesome and lively to say the least. The event kicked off by some of our trainers taking the attendees through Internet Safety, Google Search, Google Chrome and Google Plus. +njihia jeremy and I also participated in the presentations and assisted in the demonstration session as well.

Presentation tingz

Skyluxx (you know!)

You know our events are always swagged up right?? So this one was not an exception! We had a number of Google bands, stationery, stickers and a couple of bags up for grabs. Apart from that, we had some very special Tees :)



In this quarter we, as Kenyan GSAs, managed to come out tops in a competition we had with the other GSAs in Sub Saharan Africa. As a result, we won ourselves custom made Doodle T-shirts which are just the BOMB DOT COM as you can clearly see!! And they couldn’t have come at a better time seeing we are going to be celebrating Kenya at 50 in a couple of weeks. Two of the shirts we definitely for Jeremy and I, they were branded for us ‘Google Student Ambassador’ and they came in the can and everything hehe! And the good part is we got extra Tees to give to our attendees.

The swag

A fair plan had to be devised because the tees were clearly outnumbered. Therefore, our trainers got theirs, the person who was the most attentive in class bagged one, a volunteer for a demonstration section managed to get one, the attendee who posted the most using the designated hash tags (#gyscku, #gsassakenya, #gsassakenyattauniversity) also got himself one, we awarded the highest scorers in the exam and we also had a wild card where we planted a winning token under the attendees seat and the one who was lucky enough to seat there walked away with their awesome tee. It was an Oprah moment!! (Look under your seats, ‘you get a T-shirt, you get a T-shirt’) LOL!!

Awarding Bob with his well deserved Tee

Because of the promise of a Tee when you have the most posts using the hash tags, we managed to trend in Google Plus for the better part of the day. Hmmm, the things we can do for swag!! There could only be one winner though and the Tees were worth it!!!

#gsassakenyattauniversity

#gyscku

In the afternoon we sat for the exams which the attendees finished in about one hour. Funny story here, when you open exam site there are two types of examinations being offered. One is for online basics while the other is for Online Professional. So I clicked away and I started doing my exam. Question one was tough, so were the second, the third and the fourth…

Men at work, LOL

What I was thinking at the moment was ‘why didn’t I see any of these while I was training the attendees and reading for this exam??’ Then when I looked at the URL it hit me! I had clicked on the wrong exam link. Therefore, I quickly switch to the right one and damn, wasn’t it a breath of fresh air. It was like going from doing a masters course to seating for the KCSE! Moral of the story, Click the right Link! Its ONLINE BASICS!






In the end I did manage to successfully finish my exam and with that I immediately received my certificate of achievement from the Google web Academy! OK people, where is my applause??

Le Certificate :)

All of our attendees also successfully completed their course and I congratulate ya’ll because of that. And on that high note, we closed the event with our usual photo session. It seems ‘bunny ears’ were in season that day because I was scheming through the pics and almost all of them had those crazy people doing those crazy things. You know yourselves!

Group Pics

Friends

Group Pics

The Tees fraternity

I would have loved to see more ladies at the event but I can only do so much! But to the few that turned up, cheers! Continue with the same spirit and just know bigger things are around the corner! ß Mark This 

Maria, Mercy and I

Shout Out to these awesome people: +DANIEL KIHIA+David M.T+Kennedy Murimi+kennedy wambua+BOB RAPHTONE AFWATA+Lester Obbayi+Hilary Soita+MoSSEY NANDWA+Mercy Owiti+Maria Mumoki+benjamin mwalimu+Jenaro Wachira+Griffin Muteti+kevin irungu+GEORGE MULE  and my colleague +njihia jeremy. Forgive me if I have left out your name, it was not on purpose. But I got you all! Thank you for turning up!! And I also thank +Jeminatu Alabi-Isama+OUEDRAOGO DANIEL KENANIA and +Abebe Assefa for their support even if they are miles away :)


Jeremy and yours truly

The brand

By the way, we launched a Google Student Club Community for Kenyatta University, G|Students Club Kenyatta University. The club is for Googley people who are passionate about doing cool things that matter! Feel free to join our community, to learn about awesome opportunities, know about our events, take part in general discussions and grow with us. Check it out here.


I am wishing you a lovely Monday without the blues (Chelsea fans, relax. It’s not about you, Hehe)

Remember to always “Do Cool Things That Matter”


#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment