Wednesday, January 6, 2016

1280 x 720 {Resolutions Vs. Goals}

I had every intention of putting up at least three posts per month during the last quarter in 2015 but life just got in the way and quite frankly, I felt like it got a little bit too much to handle at some point. Nervous breakdown anyone? Nevertheless, it is a new year and I am so geared up for it! I hope I don’t get a burn out by February though.
Source

Speaking of new years, have you made your resolutions yet? The last time I made resolutions I failed at most of them miserably. I therefore didn’t make any in 2015 but surprisingly it turned out quite well. Which left me wondering whether I had put undue pressure on myself by having resolutions in 2014 in the first place. I later learned that there is a huge difference between resolutions and goals. So as much as I didn’t have resolutions for 2015, I had clear goals. And while New Year’s resolutions rarely work, goals do!
Goals vs Resolutions: Goals are specific achievements. They are endpoints after a specific period of time. A decision or determination to make permanent changes to your life are termed as resolutions. Therefore something like run a marathon by the time you are 20 years easily falls in the goals pile while eat healthier and exercising daily is more of a resolution. Goals can be both long term and short term but resolutions are long term changes that require a lot of effort in maintaining them.

Resolutions tend to fade all too quickly. 25% of people abandon their resolutions after one week. Seeing that we are already on the 6th day of the month, tomorrow there will be some mics dropping on the resolutions that were set a few days ago.

Goals direct your focus and help you remain persistent in the face of adversity. They help you work smarter and harder. When you set effective goals, they help you perform up to your potential. Just having goals is not enough. It is important to put them in writing. Most people skip this part though, but studies have shown that the secret to accomplishing most of the goals is writing them down. According to this article, writing goals down will:
  1. Force you to clarify what you want
  2. Motivate you to take action
  3. Provide a filter for other opportunities
  4. Help you overcome resistance
  5. Enable you to see and celebrate your progress

So go forth and set yourself some goals and while you're at it, don't forget to write them down. I wish you the very best in that process. And just like the other 6 billion people in the world, I hope that 2016 is truly your year!

Thank you for reading. 

#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment