Thursday, February 6, 2014

Product Review: Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8

I have been toying with the idea of doing product reviews for the longest time now but I think it is safe to say that I am now ready! And what a better way to set the ball rolling than with doing a review of my beloved baby…yes, my Mega 5.8


I have had it for almost two months now and to be honest, I love the experience so far. There are still very many things about it that I haven’t yet explored…but all in good time. I am going to do this in the simplest way possible as it is just my view of the phone so forgive me if I do not use some of the tech jargon that one would normally expect to find in a phone review. And with that out of the way, let’s get this party started! Hehe

Size
The first thing that one will definitely notice is its huge screen size! I mean, 5.8 inches is not that small! It comes so close to the tablet territory hence why we call it a phablet. When I got to handling it, I seriously considered changing my dress code because no pocket in my day to day skinny jeans was ever going to comfortably fit that phone! But overtime, I have gotten used to it. I used to carry it in a small cute purse I specifically bought for it but sometimes I even chose to go without it. Because despite its size, the phone is actually pretty light. It weighs about 180g; the purse was just adding unnecessary weight. There are two sizes to the Galaxy Megas. Apart from the 5.8 inch that I have, there is also a 6.3 inch. Oh my, I cannot picture how that would look like in my pocket!

Picture courtesy of +Emmanuel Chenze 

Battery
The device has a 2600mAh battery. The battery life is considerably awesome. I am that person who is always on the line with apps and games that are battery guzzlers but even with that in mind, charging the phone is not as frequent as seen in other smartphone devices. So, it has redeemed itself in that sector :)

Operating System
The phone came with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Operating System. Read more about Android Operating Systems in this Sweet Treats post


Processor
The phone comes with a dual core 1.4GHz processor. It is not all that if you compare with other smart phone devices like the S4 which has a 1.9GHz quad core processor but this is a step up from where I was before. So this is not really a big deal. It works just fine for all me plus the 1.5GB RAM also adds to the thrill and speed of the device.


Internal Memory
So this is the sector where I felt a bit cheated hehe. But one part had to be compromised in making this device so maybe this had to be it! The device has 8GB internal memory which is augmentable to about 64GB by use of a microSD card. However after all the phone systems are in place one is left with about 5GB for your other stuff. I haven’t used up much of this space because I already have a memory card in place. But would it have hurt for them to give us like 16GB internal storage especially considering the size?? #justsaying

Apps
The device came with a variety of apps but it is easy to add more from the play store and update the ones that were already there. Especially when you have fast internet connection. Easy-peasy




Camera {Read: Selfies}
I love the camera on this device. It has an 8MP rear camera while the front one stands at 1.9MP. Can somebody say ‘Selfies’ hehe!! It is similar to the one seen on the S3. The feature of drama shot, sound and shot  and story album are also inclusive but the dual shot which is seen in the S4 is missing on this device. However, even when taking Selfies I am not particularly crazy about the front camera…it makes me look some typa way…a way that me no likey. So imma just stick to taking a pic of the mirror with half of my face covered by the device LOL!


Gaming
The gaming experience on this phone is to die for! The huge screen size and relatively good screen resolution brings all the characters and objects to life. Even fruit ninja feels like it is from a different planet when played on this device.


I was so addicted to playing games in the middle of the night, before school happened again leaving me all drained and overspent by the end of the day. However, when I am with my friends during the day, all they ask for is temple run…zombie highway…and asphalt moto. But I don’t blame them, it can get addictive!!

 

Accessories
The phone comes with earphones and a charging device. A Bluetooth device is also available but I did not get that one. My phone is white in color and so are the accessories. This is a good and a bad thing. Good because I love the elegance that a white device brings and adds to an outfit but on the flipside, when you use them for some time they tend to get ‘dirty’. If only they made the cables and wires glossy to enable us to wipe the dirt off but their rubbery nature just makes any sort of dust particle to cling on there like white on rice (See what I did there). Despite that, I love the quality of the earphones especially because they fit my ears perfectly and are also compatible with my laptop. The sound quality is awesome.


I found a hilarious Samsung Mega review video online; I thought I should just share. But yo, it’s never that serious LOL.


There are so many things I can say about this phone but I think what I have shared would just have to do for now. If you were considering purchasing this phone, by all means go ahead. The pros outweigh the cons. And for all that it brings to the table, I would say it is not so bad on the pocket hehe.

That was my attempt at my first product review. How did I do?? Thank you for reading. See ya’ll in the next post.

Have a lovely afternoon.


#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment