Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Box Office 2013

A few days ago, a close friend of mine asked me what my best movie for the year was. And I have to admit…I stuttered! I am a big fan of the box office and so many flicks have grabbed my attention during the 12 months that has made this year what it is. The same thing goes for music. I can never just pick one. There are so many that I have grown fond of overtime. From all genres too; Rock, Hip-Hop, African, and House you name it.



So that is what inspired my post for today. However, not the music part of it because that would be an infinity post LOL! I tried to narrow it down to just ten movies.

Boy, wasn’t that a hard task. P.s when I talk about movies…I mean the kind that runs for 2 or so hours. Some people normally refer to series as movies, don’t ask me why! Series are a whole different ball game altogether. I talked about some that I fancy in this post earlier.

Let the countdown begin. But in no particular order (That would be asking too much from me)
                   
The Internship
If you have watched this movie, you know why it had to be in my list. I loved everything about it. I’m not sure whether the fact that it is all about Google made me a bit prejudiced, hehe. I was among the first people to watch it in Kenya and you bet I’m bragging! I watched it with my fellow Google Students Ambassadors of Sub Saharan Africa in the Planet Media Cinema during our gsummit. See hereI have re-watched it more than three times since then. And a couple of phrases from the movie have made it to my day to day vocabulary which I use with my pals. Something like, ‘are you on THE line?’ LOL!!



Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain
I don’t know if stand ups fall in the movie category but heck…it’s my spot so imma do as I please haha! I am a huge fan of comedy. From Kevin Hart, Russell Peters, Eddy Griffin, Chris Rock, Katt Williams etc. And I have watched numerous shows, not in person though *pens it down in my bucket list* but I must, Let me explain blew me away. To say I have watched it less than ten times would be an understatement! Yeah, that much!! To the point I can have it on mute but still recite every bit and laugh as if it was on loud speaker. Deebra! Bumbump! Fake ass pigeon noises! Oh no no no no! My back’s against the wall, help me! Man, I’m hungry as… Everything just killed it for me! LOL, get fire up on this blog!



Pacific Rim
Now onto something that I actually saw in the cinemas! My first 3D experience at IMAX, whoop whoop! I don’t normally go for sci-fi genre of movies as my first option. Let’s just say they are not necessarily my cup of coffee. But I did like this one. Again, maybe the whole ambiance in which I was seeing it in had something to do with it. You know, eminems, sodas and surround sound!! But it was epic all the same. The fights seemed so real! The Kaijus and *Yegas were all up in my face. Yo, I loved it. I must treat myself to another such like experience in the near future.


  
Now You See Me
Never before has magic seemed so cool as it did in this movie. From the first scene, it just grabbed my attention. I honestly don’t know what you are doing in this life if you haven’t watched this flick yet. I wish I had seen it in the cinemas, so that the scenes would have been more dramatic cause I really do not think my 15.1” LCD screen did it much justice. But all in all I did enjoy the movie. However, I have a bone to pick. I did not like the ending so much. Boooo! Sue me! But I just think it would have been better if in the end “that guy that the four horsemen didn’t know about” was not “that guy chasing them”. (I hope I am making sense, i have been ordered not to spoil for the people who haven’t seen it yet). I expected better. That was such an anti-climax for me. Other than that…I liked it :)



Man of Steel
The whole ‘superman’ story has been done and redone time and time again, from cartoons to the series “smallville”. But still it was worth a watch. It is still about a young boy, who discovers that he is not from earth and has this extraordinary powers. And as usual he discovers his purpose and has to save the world. Cliché? Perhaps but then again, it is a movie easy to love and enjoy! And really, that’s all we look for.



The Croods
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of the animations. Hehe, I don’t care what it is about. I am game. I have watched fat cats that loved to do nothing but eat, yellow minions, little blue magical people, gnomes that came alive, rats that cooked gourmet foods, huge green ogres, cats wearing boots, owls with sibling rivalry…the list is endless. So you can be sure I was definitely in when it came to the croods. And who knew…Nicholas Cage! Hehe, when I watched it, it left me in stiches. I am generally an easy person to make happy and so it’s expected. In some weird way, it kinda reminded me of my family…Ok minus the crude Stone Age thingy going on there. But like way back in the day, we used to fight for the first and last piece of bread among us kids! LOL, don’t look at me like that…it was a huge thing. Nowadays we could care less.



Django Unchained
I usually watch flicks almost around the time when they are released but let me confess something about this one. It took me so long to watch it that if it was a person, it could have had grand kids. It’s what we like to refer as “kuishi Rongai”. But, they said, ‘Better late than never’ right? I liked this movie, despite the fact that it was like 3 days long! You can never go wrong with Jamie Foxx! My bestest (I know, there is no word like that…pardon me just this once) part of this movie, will forever remain to be the potato bag scene! I have never laughed so hard at some odd hour of the night as I did that day. My best friend and I even have it in our phones…You just never know when you’re gonna need a hearty laugh.




The raid scene. The most hilarious scene in this entire movie!!!


We're The Millers
I usually have a movie person. You know, the person who just knows all sorts of series and movies that are out. Do you have one of those? One day, I left him with my hard disk and told him to just put anything new and nice that he likes. It was not only until a couple of weeks ago that I discovered this Jennifer Aniston movie in there! And after watching it, i wondered why I hadn’t seen it earlier. It was hilarious AF… ‘The cop wanted a 1000 peso bribe but they thought he meant dollars so they were willing to trade for a favor instead’ Lol, just watch it so that you understand what I mean. It’s about Kush but not the Mac and Devin go to high school kinda Kush. Hehe, it made day when I watched it.



Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Saving the best for last…hehe, I don’t know. But I loved the first one! So it’s not like they could have made it worse for me with this sequel. It could only get better right?? I kept wondering how different they were going to make it though. Katniss and Peeta already survived the 74th Hunger Games and were going to return to their District. Haha, I had even thought maybe it was going to be a case of they fall in love, get married and years later have their kids go at it at another installment of the games. LOL, too wild of an imagination right? But you can’t blame a girl for trying. Anyway, it is a must watch! And the dollars it grossed within its first week should tell you something about it!



12 years a slave
For more than one reason, this movie had to make my list. Other than the star studded cast which consists of Brad Pitt, there was also our very own talented Lupita Nyongo. It was well produced and acted and it didn’t come as a surprise that it received accolades in the grammy. Slavery films have been done before, but it is always to see how different producers portray it.



Well, there are others that I would have included but I only said I would do ten. Those that missed include the likes of Captain Phillips, Iron Man 3, The Smurfs 2, Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, Trance (Which took two watches to barely understand half of it /0\) Stoker…just to mention a few. So what makes up your box office 2013? I would love to know :)



It has been a good year for movies and music and I can’t wait to see what 2014 has in store for us.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Always appreciate your audience.
Have a fabulous weekend!

#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment