Wednesday, October 9, 2013

#RhokAfrica. The Aftermath

Heyyy guys, you good? I really hope so. The last time we ‘talked’ (see here), I mentioned something to do with how strong I was, fighting the sandman and all, well…that did not last too long. This is because; by about 6:00 am that Sunday morning my eyelids could no longer maintain their long distance relationship! I had to catch some zzZZ! Yo, I was so tired and the carpeted floor looked oh so enticing. It was calling out to me. Good thing is our team was positioned in a corner, so I just lied down…on the floor…behind the curtain…and I slept for a good forty minutes. I had officially lost the battle!

Dr. Sanji during the opening ceremony on saturday


We normally take sleep for granted when we have the time to catch it. Take me for example, I may enter my bed at about midnight but because of my lappy, phone and internet, I may end up sleeping at 2:00 am. This is regardless of whether I have an early morning or not. This is such a bad habit. Sleep is so important! And I confirmed that this weekend. Before my forty-minute power shut eye, I could hardly function. I was seeing doubles and I even started replying to the voices in my head. Yes, it was that bad. So I totally understood all the guys who were under the tables snoring. It was just a rebooting mechanism.


You are probably wondering why I keep referring to sleeping on the floor right? Well, this event is usually live streamed in a number of countries so if one is not careful, they could easily be caught sleeping and drooling on tape and broadcasted to the entire world. OK, I am going to repeat that part, the ENTIRE world. Considering how tired and sleepy we were I highly doubt anybody’s facial appearance would have been pleasant enough to share with the interweb. Hehe, mine might have been though but I wasn’t taking any chances :)

Momentum Core Team Working into the night


When I woke up however, I was feeling rejuvenated and the work continued. We were still far from completing our project but we had already sorted out some of the major milestones. Breakfast was a pleasant delight. Food was not spared in any way during this hackathon. We had cereal, eggs, bacon, sausages, the famous croissants hehe, muffins, toast and baked beans among other goodies.

After that lovely meal, we freshened up and got back to work. As 1:00pm approached, the nerves and the butterflies got too real. Time was almost up. My team members were so set on the idea of having me pitch to the judges. Ok, people normally do not get this because I sort of like to talk but I am very, extremely and utterly terrified of standing and presenting in front of people! But they insisted so I agreed. Another reason I was hesitant to do it was the fact that I was in my rugged/unfinished jeans. In my mind I was just imagining what they would say…something like “ey, were your jeans hacked??” This reminds me of my aunt, when she saw my jeans she told me, “you should really stop washing jeans with a brush. You see how they have been torn?” Little did she know I actually bought them like that!

Anyway, back to the main story. After the delicious lunch, I went to run through my lines and give myself a pep talk in front of the bathroom mirror. I usually do this every time I have a presentation to give. I imagine my reflection as the crowd and seeing that it is a familiar face, it calms me down. I practice my breathing and clear my head. My little me time was cut short when someone had to go and use the bathroom as well. So instead I chose to just go back to the main hall and I put my earphones on. Listening to my music collection also soothes me. I did this until it was presentation time. The projects that were competing were… (In no particular order)

Group Name: Pirates of the Horn
Solution: Data visualization and decision support system on problems that face Africa.
Solution Description: With current open data such as https://horn.rcmrd.org we have limited information/data presentation that is hard for a quick analysis to be performed. We are coming up with data visualization and decision support system on problems that Kenya and in general Africa face. The system will be used for data interpretation and provide an in depth analysis of collected data and provide an insight on the course of action to be taken by the relevant parties/bodies.


The site with open data

Team Leader for the Pirates doing the presentation


Group Name: Slam Coders
Solution: Disaster Alert Application
Solution Description: A disaster crowd sourcing application that helps people report disasters when they occur and relay the same information to the general public in terms of alerts.

Slam Coders presenting their App


Group Name: Team Nyuki
Solution: EAR Early Warning System service that comes as a WEATHER BOX
Solution Description: EWS is a web and USSD based application that collects data from networked sensors (waspmote), to increase food production and improve weather prediction. Hoping to partner with the Government and Meteorology Department  to enable the WEATHER BOX PROTOTYPE to be successful.

Group Name: Patana
Solution: A Web and SMS Application
Solution Description: This is a Web application built using HTML5 and implements Google Map APIs. It aims to connect areas with a surplus of food with areas which have a shortage.

The Web App for Patana


Group Name: Momentum Core
Solution: Disaster Simulator
Solution Description: Take on the role of a skilled paramedic where seconds count as you make life or death decisions. Respond to emergency calls as you dash across the city. Plot our own route across Google Maps, working against the clock to reach your casualty as rapidly as possible. You’ll be interacting with patients and colleagues as you administer life-saving care. Lives are in your hands. Do you have what it takes to be a premier paramedic?

The disaster simulator app


Group Name: Traceunite
Solution: Trace Unite
Solution Description: We are building an SMS and Web application solution to help people know the whereabouts of their lost loved ones in times of disasters like the Westgate mall attack or missing children. The application also provides accurate and timely information about how to give to the victims of a disaster e.g. material donations, counseling, funds etc.

Trace United App


Group Name: LifeLine
Solution: LifeLine
Solution Description: LifeLine is a blood bank network that correlates donors, donation centers and blood banks.

The LifeLine App


Group Name: Urban Changer
Solution: Urban Changer
Solution Description: It is an initiative that will involve people from various aspects of life to engage in physical walks as they address a number of challenges and their possible solutions.

The presentations were not bad but the judges…Yaikes! Ahem, ahem, it’s like they had a personal vendetta against some of us. But all in all it was constructive criticism and it was only aimed at making us better. So we forgive you :)

The Wonderful Judges :)


After all was said and done, the three winners were: 1) Trace United 2) Pirates of the Horn and 3) Momentum Core. Congrats guys!! They never told us this, but just between me and you, I am sure at number four it was Patana. I mean, with that killer presentation I did? Uuh, child! LOL

After that we took crazy pictures (as usual), we networked and we ate. Hehe, food is very important! We left the Red Court hotel at about 8:00 pm after being handed our certificates. I went back home and slept for what seemed like 2 decades!


It was a good two days. But I think I am getting a little too old for overnight hackathons. But we will see. Because as they say, it’s not over until it’s over!

Have a lovely hump day.

#happydays

No comments:

Post a Comment