Monday, February 9, 2015

Smart Phone, Dumb Battery

I have never been so frustrated with an inanimate object the way I was frustrated with my phone these past couple of weeks. Reason: Battery life! I noticed that it was deteriorating towards the end of last year but it wasn’t until the beginning of January when things took a turn for the worst.

Image Source

When I first got this phone back in 2013 I couldn’t be happier. You know, despite the fact that I had to sell a kidney to pay for it...I was still excited! It had everything I wanted in a device. It was smart, it was loyal and I appreciated it.

I looked the other way when some of the accessories started dying off one by one. It started with the earphones…how typical! But thanks to a number of Intel earphones I had acquired from previous events, I was soon sorted in that sector. The USB cable followed a couple of months later but this was caused by a minor accident so I didn’t hold onto that loss for too long.

But when the battery became the next victim, I couldn’t help but go a little bit nuts! My phone couldn’t go 10 minutes without being plugged in. It would shut down as soon as the battery dropped to 90% and reboot at 0%. Woe unto me if I expected an important call that day!

I was forced to look out for sockets wherever I went just so that I could power it up whenever it switched off and when I couldn’t get one, I had to make peace with being off the grid hoping and praying that something important didn’t pass me by because of that. I felt so powerless (See what I did there...)

When I couldn’t take it anymore, I resolved to just replace the battery. It took a tad bit longer than I thought to have the battery in stock but when I was called last week and informed that they had finally arrived in the country I was ecstatic even though that purchase meant I would have to lose part of the other remaining kidney. The price we pay…#Sigh

I did some research to find out how I got to that bad place with my battery so that I didn't end up there again. I found that I was guilty of doing more than one damaging habit in the list. I am sure you are guilty of one or two of those as well.

  1. "Topping Up" Charge - You are at 50% and you wan't to leave the house for the day, hence you charge it so that you can get to 100% before you depart...I see you
  2. Overcharging - Damn, you slept with your phone plugged in the charger again! You know yourself...
  3. Overuse - Always on that Candy Crush, Temple Run, WhatsApp and Instagram. All day, every day. Enough said...
  4. Can't Leave, Won't Leave It Alone - Instead of switching off your phone and letting it charge in peace, you are constantly using it as it is charging. Wishing the cable was longer and pulling it closer to your bed for easy reach. I'm not alone here...
  5. Getting Below 10% - Sometimes you wait to charge the phone only when it's like 5 seconds away from 0%. As I came to learn, not such a good habit...
How many did you check off in that short list? More than two? Yaikes! Hehe, you can find others online when you do your research and maybe, you can start treating your battery better so that it can last longer. 

They say experience is the best teacher. So learn from mine!

#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment